ORTHOWORLD’s estimates place 3Q12 market growth at 3% over 3Q11, as shown in Exhibit 1 on the following page. Performance highlights follow and pertain to 3Q unless otherwise noted.
Exhibit 1: Orthopaedic Sales1 Increases by Product Segment: 3Q12 vs. 3Q11
Notes to Exhibit 1:
1. Orthopaedic products; constant currency, pro forma growth
2. Includes biologics
3. For the quarter ended 8/31/12; includes Dental. Spine includes Bone Stim and Biologics; Bone Stim reflects all Bone Healing sales. Excludes trauma acquisition.
4. Excludes Synthes acquisition.
6. For the quarter ended 9/30/12
7. Extremities: extremities + fixation combined; Endoscopy: endoscopic + communications, most of which is orthopaedic; Spine: neuro + spine. Total growth excludes Patient Handling.
8. ORTHOWORLD estimates
$47.8MM, flat (U.S. $31.0MM, -5%; ex-U.S. $16.8MM, +12%)
- Launched BridgePoint spinous process fixation system, NEXoss biologic
- Phygen asset acquisition brings access to >100 U.S. spine surgeons, Leucadia AutoLok Pedicle Screw
$57.0MM, +5% (Americas $37.1MM, +9%; International $19.9MM, -3%)
Sports Medicine $55.2MM, +8%; Other (includes spine) $1.8MM, -23%
- Minimal sales arising from agreement to supply Wright Medical with Opus knotless suture technology
- Launched phase 2 marketing strategy: medical education campaign to reinforce clinical facts concerning Coblation during knee arthroscopy; phase 3 to focus on ACL reconstruction; phase 4 is platform to deliver Coblation in versatile operating modes (expected late 2013)
Biomet (FY 1Q13 ended 8/31/12)
$707.4MM, +10% (U.S. $452.2MM, +9%; Europe $142.9MM, +9%; International $112.3MM, +14%)
Reconstructive $393.0MM, +2% (U.S. +1%)
- Hips +2%; Knees +2%; Bone Cement/Other +4%
Sports Med/Extremities/Trauma (S.E.T.) $127.3MM, +59% (U.S. +52%)
- Sports Med +12%; Extremities +15%; Trauma +199%
Spine & Bone Healing $77.9MM, +5% (U.S. +5)
- Spine +11%; Bone Healing -9%
S.E.T. includes acquisition. Excluding trauma acquisition +10% (U.S. +11%)
Trauma excluding acquisition, flat worldwide and U.S.
- Commenced rollout of Taperloc Complete microplasty version to strong response
- Further decline in Oxford Partial Knee sales
- Initiated U.S. lifetime warranty for Oxford Partial implanted with Signature, as well as direct-to-consumer advertising
- Launched Signature dynamic femoral positioning
- Launched Comprehensive Nano Stemless Shoulder in Europe; will launch Comprehensive SRS Shoulder there in FY3Q