While thinking about the strategic priorities of the largest orthopaedic device companies for the rest of the year, we took a deeper look at their product launch announcements from 1H18. After examining that data, we thought: why not share the list with you.
About 35% of the product launches we’ve covered between January and mid-June came from 12 of the 20 largest orthopaedic device companies by revenue. Not surprisingly, their focus has been on joint reconstruction and spine, the two largest orthopaedic market segments.
Here is the market segment breakdown of the 29 product launches tracked:
- Spine – 13
- Joint Reconstruction – 9
- Trauma – 4
- Arthroscopy/Soft Tissue – 2
- Orthobiologics - 1
Of note, Medtronic launched its first product with its 3D-printed technology, TiONIC, and K2M reached a milestone with its 100th product, the OZARK Cervical Plate.
And here is the list—organized by company revenue (largest first), market segment, product name and description.
1. DePuy Synthes
- Trident II Acetabular System, based on AMagine additive-manufactured Tritanium In-Growth technology and compatible with the Mako Robotic Arm
- Stryker F1, a cordless, small footprint small bone power system for extremities procedures
- Pivot Guardian, reportedly the industry’s first post-free hip distraction system for arthroscopy
Smith & Nephew
- JOURNEY II XR bi-cruciate retaining total knee launched in Japan and the U.S.
- Q-FIX CURVED, Q-FIX MINI and SUTUREFIX CURVED All-Suture Anchor systems, designed for procedures in difficult-to-access anatomies
- TiONIC 3D-printed titanium technology for spinal implants. ARTiC-L for transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion was the first device manufactured with the laser-based technique.
- SynergyTLIF workflow to perform a completely navigated MIS spinal procedure in fewer intra-op steps
- ALIF Access, the company’s first Maximum Access Surgery ALIF retractor for lateral and supine surgery approaches
- COALESCE for Thoracolumbar Interbody Fusion
- First surgery performed with PRECICE STRYDE limb lengthening system. Limited launch is slated for mid-2018.
- AttraX Scaffold ceramic-collagen bone graft launched in the U.S.
- INVISION PROPHECY Preoperative Navigation for Total Ankle Revision launched in the U.S.
- CREO Fenestrated Screw, designed for use with FORTRESS bone cement to treat thoracolumbar spinal tumors
- ELSA AL and ELSA-ATP lateral expandable interbody spacers with integrated screw fixation
- MOTO Medial Partial Knee, the modular Medacta Shoulder system and the MasterLoc LAT PLUS wedge stem
- First surgery performed in the U.S. using the Medacta Unconstrained Screw Technology Sacro-Iliac Joint Screw (M.U.S.T. SI) for sacroiliac joint fusion
- FDA 510(k) clearance and launch of the MySpine Midline Cortical Pedicle Screw Placement Guide
- ExactechGPS revision knee software and Exactech’s Truliant Knee system instrumentation were used together for the first time in a revision procedure. Full availability of the RTKA application is slated for 2H18.
- Achieved the milestone of its 100th product following FDA 510(k) clearance and launch of the OZARK Cervical Plate
- MOJAVE PL 3D Expandable Interbody featuring Lamellar 3D Titanium Technology launched in the U.S.
- Next-generation YUKON OCT posterior fixation system, designed to support cervical sagittal balance in the occipito-cervico-thoracic regions
- Fortilink-TS and -L lumbar interbody fusion systems, which feature TETRAfuse 3D printed polymer
Sources: Company websites, press releases
Photo Credit: Medtronic